Eventing in Limburg

Moderators: C_arola, Coby, Nicole288, Dyonne

Toevoegen aan eigen berichten

MarykeZ

Eventing in Limburg

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 05-07-22 12:16

Hey All

Apologies for the English message, still learning Dutch. I'll be moving to the Netherlands from South Africa next year March and looking at Maastricht as a home base. I compete in Eventing here, and would like to continue riding once I move. I won't be bringing my horse with (he is retiring in South Africa)

I'm looking for a recommendation on yards where there is Eventing and where I can either continue with lessons and possibly lease a horse initially. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time! :D

JusticeJ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:02

Hi Maryke!

I don't live in Limburg myself, but I do have some information that might be helpful if you want to start riding competitive eventing here.

In terms of eventing competitions, Limburg (especially southern Limburg) doesn't have many options (maybe 1 or 2 comps a year). It might be best for you to (also) register yourself in Belgium. Belgian eventing competitions are often closer by compared to the Dutch eventing competitions (often 200km+ away from Maastricht), it depends how far you want to drive. The Belgium system is a bit more complicated though but if you delve into it it'll be fine!

Goodluck on finding a yard :)

MarykeZ

Re: Eventing in Limburg

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 05-07-22 13:08

Thanks so much for the info, did not consider the Belgium option so will factor that in for sure. Is there better areas I should perhaps consider? Its so hard finding information
:)

LoveBodin

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:14

There are a few lists on Bokt, with the competitions and some dates:
[SGW] Inschrijfdata Eventing 2020
Also one with a lot of places where you can practice (either on your own or with an instructor)
[SGW] Oefencross verzamellijst
I am not sure if you can lease a horse anywhere to go eventing with, I have not heared from it before in the Netherlands. Mostly people take their own horse.
Edit: there is one horseriding school, but that's in Gelderland (Snorrewind, Markelo), but I am not sure if they also offer it to people from outside, or if you have to be in the riding school.

Josien_

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:15

The are a few options for yards with eventing possibilities in the nothern part of Limburg and in Brabant, which is not that far.
I'm not sure if you can lease a horse there.

Moonlight17

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:18

In whole of Limburg there are about 4 eventing competitions a year on the lower levels.

If you would consider another region in the Netherlands I would advice middle east part of the Netherlands. Within 100 km distance you have serveral options for competitions. Germany is than also still an option for compititions, although the system is there different than in the Netherlands.

MarykeZ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 05-07-22 13:28

Thank you so much for all the info! I will work towards buying a horse to compete with then eventually. Sounds like it would be then a better option to find a good yard in an area more suited where I can have lesson. I really can live anywhere so there aren't really restrictions in that department.

Let me know if you have any yard suggestions, again appreciate all the information very much :D Snorrewind looks really great! :)

JusticeJ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:30

MarykeZ schreef:
Thanks so much for the info, did not consider the Belgium option so will factor that in for sure. Is there better areas I should perhaps consider? Its so hard finding information

I think in general Maastricht is a great area to live! It's very beautiful and you're close to other countries. Belgian competitions are often very nice (cause the area is more hilly etc.) so I wouldn't not move to Maastricht just because of the competitions.

If you really do want to be in a dutch area full of competitions you should consider Apeldoorn, Arnhem, Utrecht or everything in between those. Other dutch competitions are often in a 100km radius around these places because it's so well centered.

But yet again, Maastricht is great!

JusticeJ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:35

Maybe another good thing to know is what your situation is going to be whilst living here. Are you going to study? Are you getting a regular job? Do you want to work at one of these stables? If so, there are probably quite a lot of people who can recommend you eventing stables to work at.

MarykeZ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 05-07-22 13:36

JusticeJ schreef:
MarykeZ schreef:

I think in general Maastricht is a great area to live! It's very beautiful and you're close to other countries. Belgian competitions are often very nice (cause the area is more hilly etc.) so I wouldn't not move to Maastricht just because of the competitions.

If you really do want to be in a dutch area full of competitions you should consider Apeldoorn, Arnhem, Utrecht or everything in between those. Other dutch competitions are often in a 100km radius around these places because it's so well centered.

But yet again, Maastricht is great!

Yes thought it looked great too as a place to live, think its becoming a case of finding a nice yard!

MarykeZ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst door de TopicStarter : 05-07-22 13:39

JusticeJ schreef:
Maybe another good thing to know is what your situation is going to be whilst living here. Are you going to study? Are you getting a regular job? Do you want to work at one of these stables? If so, there are probably quite a lot of people who can recommend you eventing stables to work at.

I work full time, but I work from home and my schedule is super flexible. I could work at yard at about 20% but that probably won't fill a quota

Moonlight17

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:47

Just spend some time looking up some places.
Next to Snorrewind, you have Manege Hoogeveen, there are horses for lease en they have an arena with eventing fences. Although I think Snorrewind has the better location if you want to drive to other competitions.

If you want to stay in the neighbourhood of Maastricht, the closest eventing locations are Equine Park Hulsberg en Manege Ravensbosch

JusticeJ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:50

MarykeZ schreef:
JusticeJ schreef:

I work full time, but I work from home and my schedule is super flexible. I could work at yard at about 20% but that probably won't fill a quota

Aha okay, so that will not cause problems.

I looked around on google but there are literally 0 permanent XC arenas etc near Maastricht, which means there are no specific eventing yards there either. There are of course regular yards available but maybe that doesn't fit the bill for you! If you don't mind those I would recommend making another topic about finding a yard near Maastricht.

I know quite a few eventing yards in the middle of the country though (the triangle I mentioned), do you want the names of those? PM me.

JusticeJ

Link naar dit bericht Geplaatst: 05-07-22 13:52

Moonlight17 schreef:
Just spend some time looking up some places.
Next to Snorrewind, you have Manege Hoogeveen, there are horses for lease en they have an arena with eventing fences. Although I think Snorrewind has the better location if you want to drive to other competitions.

If you want to stay in the neighbourhood of Maastricht, the closest eventing locations are Equine Park Hulsberg en Manege Ravensbosch

Equine Park Hulsberg is only realized during the yearly competition I think, it's not permanent. It is a nice regular yard though! Manege Ravensbosch could be an option but that's for true amateurs I think and also has no XC park.